Monday, July 21, 2008

Summer Garden Supper

Yesterday I finished a weekend long garden weeding frenzy too late, too hot, and too tired to think about cooking anything complicated for supper. I had thinned a whole bunch of broccoli plants, and didn't know exactly what to do with them. It seemed a waste just to dump them all in the compost, so I tore the leaves off, chopped them up, then sauteed them with an onion, olive oil, chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper. The broccoli leaves were so tender and sweet, I might just plant extra on purpose next year. That was served over brown rice, with poached eggs on top. I also had the first decent sized zucchini and yellow summer squash, which I sliced and placed on a baking sheet with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, minced onion, garlic, and Parmesan cheese, and broiled til the cheese was brown and crispy looking.
Yum. I love eating from the garden!

No comments: