Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Shepherd's Pie

So, I'd never actually had this before I made it for supper last night. I was vegan for 7 years, and vegetarian for 15 years (!) after that, so all of my formative young adult-hood cooking for myself food has been vegetables. For the last 7 months, ever since I read "Real Food" by Nina Planck, then got the cookbook "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon, we've been eating meat. Well, the pasture fed, mostly organic meat that we can afford, but still, its a lot of meat compared to none! And while my cupboard is full of cookbooks, they're mostly vegetarian, so a lot of this I'm just winging. I've made "Shepherdess" pie a bazillion times. Lentils, veggies, top with mashed potatoes, brown in the oven. Yum.
But last night I made real Shepherd's Pie, because ground lamb is cheaper than pastured ground beef and Fred Meyer didn't even have any pastured beef when I did my shopping, and I read somewhere that lamb is always pastured.
A pound of ground lamb, browned with a chopped onion, layered in the bottom of a 9x12 pan.
4 carrots, peeled and chopped, 1/3 a head of cabbage, another onion, softened in the lamb pan then layered over it. 4 cups of mashed potatoes with a cup of cheese mixed in, spread all over the top, baked at 375 for 30 minutes or so. Yum. We had green beans and salad too.
Everyone was happy, except the 2 yo who poured his water all over his plate, then stuck his hand in it, grabbed a glob and smeared it all over. And threw his fork at his brother. And was excused from the table. One of these days he's going to figure out that supper's a lot more fun when he's not banished from the dining room. Right?

No comments: